Tier 5 Temporary Worker Visa UK
The UK Temporary Worker Visa is an employment visa for non-EEA and non-Swiss nationals who wish to work temporarily in the UK. It is part of the UK Immigration Points Based System and it enables its holder to stay in the UK for up to 2 years.*
It also permits you to do a second job in the same sector and at the same level as your main job for up to 20 hours per week. In addition, you can bring over your family members with you.
There are a limited number of types of work you can do with this visa, which are defined by the Temporary worker visa types.
*If you are coming to the UK as a seasonal worker, then the validity of your visa will be 6 months.
UK Tier 5 Temporary Worker Visa Types
If you wish to apply for a UK Temporary Work Visa, you must apply for one of the visa types that fall under it. The Temporary Work Visa types define the types of jobs that you can do under this visa.
Following, find the UK Temporary Work Visa Types and a short explanation for each.
- Charity Worker visa. This is a UK Temporary Work Visa for those who wish to do unpaid voluntary work for a charity.
- Creative and Sporting visa. You can apply for this visa if you have a work offer in the UK as a sports person or creative worker.
- Government Authorized Exchange visa. You should apply for this visa if you want to come to the UK for the sole purpose of short-term work experience or to do a training. Also for an Overseas Government Language Program, research or a fellowship through an approved government authorized exchange scheme.
- International Agreement visa. If you have been contracted to work for a foreign government or as a private servant in a diplomatic household, or other work covered by international law while in the UK, you should apply for this visa.
- Religious Worker visa. Apply for this visa if you want to work in the UK as a religious preacher, in a religious order or other work related to religion.
- Seasonal Worker Visa. This visa is for those who wish to do farm work in the UK for up to 6 months.
Who Can Apply a Tier 5 Temporary Worker Visa?
To apply for a UK Temporary Worker Visa you will need to meet the requirements listed below:
- You must be a non-EEA and non-Swiss national.
- You need to get a certificate of sponsorship from a licensed employer.
- You should prove to the British authorities that you have £945 in your bank account, which has been there for at least 3 months before the date of your application. You will be exempt from this requirement, only if your sponsor is fully approved (‘A-rated’) and will be covering your accommodation and food for your first month in the UK.
How to Apply for a UK Temporary Worker Visa?
To apply for a UK Temporary Worker Visa you first need to complete the online application form. The form is available at the UK government’s website.
You will need to answer several questions related to you, as name & surname, date & place of birth, etc. In addition, there are questions related to your previous trips to the UK or anywhere else in the world. You will also need to give information on the reason you are applying for this visa.
Then you will need to pay the visa fee and the health surcharge. You are exempt from paying health surcharge if you are applying for a UK Seasonal Worker Visa.
Lastly, you will need to find the UK Visa Application Center in your country and there to have your fingertips and photograph taken as a part of your application.
When to Apply for a UK Temporary Worker Visa?
The earliest that you can start your application process for a UK Temporary Work Visa is three months before the date you are scheduled to start working. This date is indicated in your certificate of sponsorship.
Required Documents for a Tier 5 Temporary Worker Visa UK
The British authorities will take a decision on your case mostly based on the documents that you submit to support your application. There are some specific required documents, which you need to submit when applying for a UK Temporary Worker Visa.
These documents are as follows:
- Valid passport.
- Bank statements showing you have had at least £945 in savings continuously for 90 days before you apply.
- Your tuberculosis (TB) test results.
- A certified translation of any documents that are not in English or Welsh.
- For Creative and Sporting visa: a letter of endorsement from your sport’s governing body, if you’re applying as a sportsperson or coach.
Note that according to your nationality, the visa type you are applying for and your current situation, you will be required to submit additional documents.
UK Temporary Worker Visa Fees
When applying for a visa to UK you will need to pay a fee for the processing of your application. The UK Temporary Worker Visa Fee is £189 for citizens of Turkey and North Macedonia, and £244 for the rest of the world citizens.
If you are planning to bring family members with you, you will need to pay an extra £244 for each.
UK Temporary Worker Visa Processing
You will get an answer on your UK Temporary Worker Visa application within three weeks of applying.
UK Temporary Worker Visa Validity
All UK Temporary Worker Visas are valid for a maximum of two years, except for the Seasonal Worker Visa that is valid for a maximum of 6 months.
What Can I Do with a Tier 5 UK Temporary Worker Visa?
There are some certain things, that you can do and you cannot do with a UK Temporary Worker Visa. If you come to the UK with any of the visa types, except for the Seasonal Worker Visa, you can:
- Study, as long as the studies do not interfere with your work. Note that Seasonal Worker Visa can also study during their time in the UK.
- Do a second job for up to 20 hours per week that is:
- In the same sector at the same level as your main job.
- On the Tier 2 shortage occupation list.
- Bring family members with you (spouse, children under 18, and children over 18 who are in UK as your dependents).
However, you cannot get public funds, get a permanent job or start your own business with a UK Temporary Worker Visa.