UK Transit Visa
A UK Transit visa enables its holder to transit through the UK to reach their destination country. This visa is only for non-EEA and non-Swiss nationals.
Who Needs a UK Transit Visa?
You will need a UK transit visa if:
- You will be changing flights in the UK on your way to another country.
- You will go through UK border control, for example to check in your luggage for a connecting flight.
- You will be leaving the UK within 48 hours.
You will be exempt from the requirement of getting a UK Transit Visa only if you have a:
- EEA family permit
- Home Office travel document, for example you’re a refugee or stateless person
- UK Standard Visitor visa
- UK Marriage Visitor visa
UK Transit Visa Types
There are two UK Transit Visa types, which define the rules, criteria and requirements for such a visa, which are as follows:
- UK Direct Airside Transit visa
- UK Visitor in Transit visa
UK Direct Airside Transit Visa
You will need to apply for a UK Direct Airside Transit visa if you will change flights in the UK on your way to your destination country, but you will not go through border control.
Note that if your destination country is Ireland, the Channel Island or the Isle of Man, you will need to apply for another type of visitor visa.
UK Visitor in Transit Visa
You will need to apply for a UK Visitor in Transit visa if when transiting the UK you need to go through UK border control, to check in your luggage for a connecting flight, or similar.
How to Apply for a UK Transit Visa?
When applying for a UK Transit Visa, you need to complete some procedures, which we have listed below step by step:
- Check which type of UK transit Visa you need to apply for. Remember that it all depends on whether you will be going through the border control or not.
- Check where you need to apply. This could be a UK embassy or a visa application center in your country.
- Gather the required documents. You can find a list of these documents below.
- Complete the online application form. You can find the application form online at the official website of the UK government.
- Make a visa appointment.
- Attend your appointment. At your appointment you will have your biometric information, fingerprints and photograph taken.
After that you can wait for a decision on your application. You should get a decision within 3 weeks of your appointment.
Required Documents for UK Transit Visa
A very important part of the application process for a UK Transit Visa is collecting the required documents. Compared to other UK Visas, there are way less documents required for a UK Transit Visa.
The main UK transit visa required documents are as follows:
- Valid Passport.
- Evidence that you are allowed to enter the country you are travelling to. This could be any of the following:
- residence permit
- green card
- valid visa
- Proof on your onward journey. This could be a:
- a flight booking email
- printed tickets
- confirmation from a travel agent
Note that these are only the main documents. Depending on your country of residence and your currents situation you will be asked to submit a few additional documents.
UK Transit Visa Fees
The UK Transit visa fees are as follows:
- When applying for a UK Direct Airside Transit visa (DATV) you will need to pay a fee of £35.
- When applying for a UK Visitor in Transit visa you will need to pay a fee of £64.
Yet, there may be slight differences in the visa costs, depending on which country you are in.